I Got Splogged

Actually, I got splogged twice. In one day. And neither of these sites have anything to do with genealogy (do they ever?). In fact, I have no idea what they are about since neither is written in English or any language I can partially figure out.

Special Agent 234 is scraping up Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories posts right and left. Weird, because the picture in the header is of a soccer ball and feet.

Download Ubuntu Theme, Icons and Stuff is scraping up all sorts of genealogy-related posts. For what, I don’t know. Actually, it looks like a search result page, but since no search was performed (by me), it’s hard to tell where it came from.

I suggest that you take a look at these sites to see if any of your posts have been splogged. It’s also a good idea to set up a Google Alert with the name of your blog, your blog URL, your name, and anything else that might alert you to the fact that someone is stealing your stuff.

FWIW, there is apparently a WordPress plug-in to prevent splogging: Anti-Splog. If any of you use this, I’d love to hear your thoughts. If there’s anything comparable for Blogger, I’d love to know about that, too.

Grrrrrrr.

Elizabeth is a genealogy and family history researcher, writer, and consultant. She is easily bribed with coffee and chocolate chip cookies.

1. Sorry to hear you’ve been hit with this. When I do searches on ancestors with uncommon names, the main hits I get are often my blog and whatever splog decided to gobble up my content.

2. The Anti-Splog plug-in appears to cost $17.42 per month. Yikes!

I found a weird, non-genealogy site that had splogged me yesterday. My name, nor my blog’s name, were mentioned, so a google alert wouldn’t have helped. I was actually doing a search on one of my surnames when I found it. Sigh.

3. Elizabeth,

So sorry this happened! It’s awful when your work is “hijacked”!!

I happened upon this site, FairShare (http://www.fairshare.cc/fairshare/) a few weeks ago. I asked Thomas if he had heard of it. He said he was using it and had added it to his “Resources on Blog Copyright and Content Theft” post on GeneaBloggers. Here’s the link to that page: http://www.geneabloggers.com/resources-blog-copyright-content-theft/

Hope this helps.

Regina

4. Boo on them. I had this happen recently with some blog purportedly about Oakland. They were scraping my Oakland Genealogy blog posts. Had the nerve to leave a comment on my blog too, telling me I was a “best of” then linking me to my own content with no link back to my own blog. Blech. Losers.

If you find a good solution for Blogger users, do post about it. I’d be interested to hear what you find.

5. Sorry to hear of the sploggers. They seem to be everywhere these days. Harvesting other people’s content is not cool.

They must have known it was a top notch blog. Congratulations on your Top 40 nomination!

6. Thanks for the headsup. This is one area I’m behind on.

7. Boy I never heard of this. thanks for the alert. Do you contact them when you find this and Boo to you

8. Yeah… sigh. It sucks.

Greta, I’ve also got ancestors with very rare surnames (my own, in fact), and have found some weird stuff that way.

Tonia, Yikes – guess I should have check that out first. Too much $$ for my taste. My family was giving me the “feed us now” stare, so I was trying to post in a hurry. :-(

I’ll check that out, Regina. Thanks for the heads’ up!

Jennifer – the nerve of some people! I’ll definitely let you know if I find something good for us Blogger users. We’re usually the last to get the good stuff.

Joan, Thanks for the kind words, and back ‘atcha, of course!

Mavis – hope it helps. Be watchful. No sense in OTHER PEOPLE making $$ off your hard work. Grrr.

Grace – I haven’t contacted them yet, but I will. I wasn’t the only one who got splogged by these jerks, so if we all pounce on ‘em, maybe they’ll stop their evil ways. Nah.