My great-grandfather, Thomas MCGRAW, was born on July 1, 1889, in Ohiowa, Fillmore County, Nebraska. He was the fifth of eight children of John and Mary Jane (Grogan) MCGRAW.
Thomas married Elizabeth Marie "Bess" DELANEY some time before 1917. Children of Thomas and Bess were:
- Mary Margaret "Maura" MCGRAW (my grandmother), born on May 9, 1917 in Stanton, Fillmore Co. Nebraska; died on February 24, 2004 in Hemet, Riverside Co, California.
- Thomas R. MCGRAW, born on January 19, 1919 in Geneva, Fillmore Co., Nebraska; died on February 26, 1984 in Tigard, Washington Co., Oregon.
- Deloris Katherine MCGRAW, born on January 1, 1921 in Geneva, Fillmore Co., Nebraska; died on September 5, 2008 in Sioux City, Woodbury Co., Iowa.
- Robert MCGRAW, born on August 18, 1924 in Nebraska; died on August 13, 2000 in Lincoln, Lancaster Co, Nebraska.
- Myda G. MCGRAW, born on December 23, 1927 in Keystone, Keith Co, Nebraska; died on January 27, 2002 in Sioux City, Woodbury Co, Iowa.
On December 26, 1982, Thomas died in Seward, Seward Co., Nebraska. He was buried two days later in Exeter Cemetery, Exeter, Fillmore Co., Nebraska.
For reasons which I do not know, Thomas left his family, and Bess was left to raise their five children by herself. I do not yet know the final disposition of their marriage; Thomas' death certificate claims that they were divorced, and Elizabeth's claims that they were separated. My grandmother claimed that she did not know her father, and we never talked about him. She did, however, attend his funeral.
Photograph of Thomas McGraw's grave in Exeter Cemetery by an anonymous Find A Grave volunteer.
For sources and additional information about this family, please contact me.